Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Training Week 2 - The Shins

Last week I survived week two of my training. I ran 2 miles on two different days and 3 on another for my “long” run, so nothing too interesting to report….except for the fact that my shins feel like they have been split open by red-hot fire pokers!!!  What is happening? 

I just did my first run of the 3rd week (3 miles, indoor due to the fact that it is already steamy hot after work these days) and am sitting here, trying to figure out why this is happening to me…all while icing my shins with a bag of frozen broccoli pieces and a bag of frozen mukimame (shelled soybeans, in case you were wondering. I sure was. Did I buy these??).

Here are some hypotheses:
  1. I’m not wearing the right shoes. I find this hard to believe as these guys run ultramarathon distances without $250 fancy running shoes.
Tarahumara Man, getting ready to rip up the trails!

  1. I’m too old.  At 32 I hardly think I’m too old to be running a half-marathon. Mainly because this dude is 101 and has been running marathons his whole life. Surely I can eek out 13 measly miles if he can.
    Father Time, getting ready to blow past me on the road.
    
  2. I’m not running correctly. This one could be true, but how did I miss out on the day when we learned to run the “right” way. I don’t recall attending walking school and seem to have no trouble walking to and fro without injuring myself. I think I look normal when I run. But maybe my friends aren’t telling me something.

I don’t know what it is. All I know is I have to run 7 more miles this week and I need an answer now. Because as good as it feels to have this mukimame numbing my shins, I’ve got to be able to keep training!

No comments:

Post a Comment