Sunday, September 2, 2012

7 Weeks!

Okay, I will admit that I have been HORRIBLY inconsistent with my blogging, but please know that my running is much more consistent.  So, as I ran my longest distance to date this morning, I told myself I would also find 20 minutes to blog about it or something more interesting should there be something more interesting to happen.

So, getting down to business, the past few training weeks have consisted of me running about 4 days a week.  Shorter runs on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and a longer run on Friday.  Last Friday I cut my long run short but technically my distance runs are ahead of schedule so I didn't feel too bad about that.  This past Friday, Hurricane Isaac rained us out, so I did my distance run of 9 miles this morning instead.  It was still raining, but more of an annoying mist that, in the end, turned out to be not so bad for keeping me cool.  And if it's going to be humid, I would just as soon run in 100% humidity/rain than 98% torture. 

I got up an hour before our run and drank some coffee, ate some breakfast, and mentally prepared myself.  Not sure that was necessary as coffee sloshing around during a run does NOT feel particularly great.  But anyway, it was a fairly good run for me until about mile 6, when I got a side stitch (which doesn't ever really happen to me so it was a really weird feeling).  I actually got rid of my side stitch by walking for about 30 seconds and slowing down my breathing - thanks to some guidance from my running pal, Ken.  At 8 miles, my Nike+ Running app told me I had run 8.75 miles (grrrrr....the GPS on my iPhone is an entirely different frustration of mine, but one thing at a time) and by the time I REALLY got to 8.5 miles, I was ExHaUsTeD!!!  So, I did walk/run intervals the last 1/2 mile.  Again, I wanted to feel disappointed in myself, but I was too tired to care.  I still finished under 11minute/mile so mission accomplished.

It was also strange to run an hour later than normal, on a day that is typically my "off" day, and without 1/2 of my posse.  It is strange to me how accustomed my body has gotten to my routine so it's probably good to get it out of its routine. 

I'm still undecided about whether to run tomorrow morning or take Labor Day off, but for now I'm focusing on the ribs I'm about to eat, the 8 chocolate chip cookies I just ate, and the Boulevard Wheat that will really be the icing on my celebratory cake later this evening. 

Oh and the Rock 'n' Roll St. Louis 1/2 marathon is only 7, yes 7 weeks from today.  That makes my stomach a little nervous just thinking about it!  Until I really looked at the calendar and realized 49 days is not far away at ALL, I was just feeling like it was going to just be like a little party and everyone would be cheering us on as we partied along down the street and we would look and feel like super athletic models crossing the finish line then we would party some more and it would be a great deal of fun.  However, today I picture this...










So, until my next blog...happy running and the official count down is on. 

1 comment:

  1. erin "is there beer at the end of this?" gollhoferSeptember 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

    hahaha - those pictures are hilarious!! Ok, so they're actually scary and sad, but they are making me laugh!!

    ReplyDelete