Thursday, January 5, 2012

Registered - Take 2!

Well, I started thinking about running a 1/2 marathon about an hour before I emailed Erin and said, "Do you want to run a 1/2 marathon with me?" Who else would I/should I do this with if not the one person that became my lifelong friend after a chance meeting during a double-date and a drive home bonding experience over NKOTB? There you have it...we're a go! Oh - that and she came up with a coupon. So, naturally if you're offered a coupon, on the excessive amount you're paying someone else, to run an excruciatingly long distance for "fun," you have no other option.

Let me say too that I am absolutely, positively, completely, in my wildest dreams, NOT an athlete - I am a nerd, a quirky, weird, sometimes funny nerd that attempts this thing called running on a casual basis. I do not run for fun either. I actually very much dislike running. So, why a 13.1 jaunt doing something I despise? Well, I'm not sure yet, but it has something to do with facing fears...and hopefully not puking or fainting along the way. Or maybe, actually the puking part would be okay. It would keep people off my tail during the race.

Anyway, my whims like this come and go often times, but in 2011 I made a commitment to losing weight and I (to my own surprise actually) accomplished that goal. So 42ish lbs lighter and later, I am committed to staying healthy and doing things completely outside my comfort zone. It's proof to myself that I can, and it's proof to the two little human beings that take up residence in my house rent free, that being healthy and strong and active is fun, challenging, and not an option!

So, here's to 2012 - the year of the half.

No comments:

Post a Comment